Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "MacPherson, Deborah" <dmacpherson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:28:47 -0500
Hi John
    (01)

UML is commonly used in NIEM for mapping and exchange content modeling. Also,
exchange models are required to be XMI representations in UML 1.4 or 2.1
metamodel.
    (02)

For shared, cross-domain (facility management, emergency management, and
geospatial) tasks like exchanging building floor plans with fire departments, a
time-saving benefit in using UML would be the ability to set up one or more
exchanges for a particular data model, such as NIEM, that was also able to be
picked up and used elsewhere to work with other data models (Industry
Foundation Classes, OASIS CAM Exchange Content Assembly Blueprints, OGC
Reference Model). However, even if this work was accomplished already, to
really stick in the building domain, you would still need to write out an
Information Delivery Manual in BPMN. Everyone involved would also need straight
up XML, code lists, definitions and so forth. I think at this point it is not
just the encodings and data model representations that are missing but also the
service interface and standards integration procedures.
    (03)

In your view is it even possible for model-driven exchange environments to
succeed without including ontologies? What is an example of a thriving
model-driven exchange community or ongoing cross-domain initiative that does
not use ontologies as part of their whole system?
    (04)

Regards
    (05)

Deborah
    (06)

DEBORAH MACPHERSON, CSI CCS, AIA
Specifications and Research
    (07)

Cannon Design
1100 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 2900
Arlington, Virginia 22209
    (08)

Direct Line 703 907 2353
4 Digit Dial 2353
    (09)

dmacpherson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cannondesign.com
    (010)

 Please consider the environment before printing this email.
    (011)