Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:41:49 -0800 (PST)
I think it is the matter of using the word " Ontology" vs "Data Modeling"  is causing confusion here.

If you read the document about "Nobel price"  that was circulated here before,  it is the description and rules that are involved in Nobel price selection.   You can develop a Ontology  model and/ or data model using that.

There are three parts to data modeling in System's Engineering - conceptual, logical and physical data modeling.   We pick the  objects or entities that are in the description use one or the other ( relational or object oriented) modeling methods with ceratin concepts that goes with that modeling.    Here we do not have to worry about other things, since process modeling takes care of the behavior, communication etc..

But with ontology modeling, I believe we  work at the conceptual information modeling level with emphasis on semantics and behavior, relationships as well taking classification, terminology, vocabulary, etc into considerations.  RDF Graph.. Basic Formal Ontology (BFO) modeling are some are in use..   Ontology should lead to good data modeling, and semantic reasoning.

I would like to do a presentation on this topic...

Regards.
Pavithra Kenjige