[ontology-summit] Communique Summary - Revisions

To: Ontology Summit 2010 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Fabian Neuhaus <fneuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
From: Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:31:08 -0500
Here's my revision of the summit communique.    (01)

Summary    (2ASQ)
Increasingly, major national, international, and commercial projects,
systems, and products employing semantic technologies are being undertaken
by governments, scientific, and industrial organizations. A key aspect of
semantic technologies are ontologies, without which these efforts will
fail. This creates a growing need for ontology expertise and thus for new
methods and institutions for the training of ontologists. The goal of the
2010 Ontology Summit was to develop a strategy for the education of
ontologists, both in the academic and commercial worlds. To achieve this
goal we studied (i) how ontologists are currently trained, (ii) the
requirements by organizations that hire ontologists, and (iii)
developments that might impact the training of ontologists in the future.
  (2B98)
The main findings and results of the Ontology Summit are:    (2B99)
1.      There is already a large demand for ontologists, and the demand is
expected to increase as semantic technologies become more successful.
(2B9A)
2.      There are very few training opportunities for ontologists.
(2B9I)
3.      Organizations that want to hire ontologists often have
difficulties in identifying qualified candidates since there is no
professional organization that certifies ontologists
4.      Very few educational institutions that offer training for
ontologists.    (2B9B)
5.      A list of recommended knowledge and skills that should be taught
to future ontologists was developed. These recommendations are intended as
guidelines for institutions that might consider establishing a program for
training ontologists.    (2B9H)
As next steps, the Ontolog community recommends a more detailed
description of the requisite knowledge and skills. Further, we recommend
the development of a repository that allows educators to exchange training
material for ontologists. Most importantly, we encourage educational
institutions to establish programs that address the growing need for
ontologists.    (2B95)    (02)

Todd    (03)