Re: [ontology-summit] Progressing a Units Ontology - virtual session

To: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Carlisle <carlisle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Forest Lin <linforests@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:14:31 -0400
Peter,    (01)

you wrote:    (02)

> I am writing to ping everyone, one more time, to find out:
>
> 1. who is interesting to participate in getting the said Units of
> Measure ontology effort going.    (03)

I am interested because I think a basic reference ontology for
'quantity' is needed. According to the International Vocabulary for
Measurement (VIM)
  http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html
'measurement unit' is one class in that ontology, and it is a subtype of
'quantity'.  Further, standardized instances of 'measurement unit'
belong to a 'system of measurements' which is intimately related to a
taxonomic decomposition of 'quantity'.  So I think the 'basic quantity
ontology' is inseparable from an 'ontology for units of measure'.    (04)

> 2. who is willing to provide some level of leadership to get this
> effort off the ground.    (05)

It makes sense that NIST should lead -- the NIST participants should
take that up offline.    (06)

> 3. who would be joining us if we do run a virtual panel session on
> this on Thu 2009.06.11    (07)

I will try to attend, but I have a likely conflict from 1300-1500 EDT.    (08)

> 4. if you are joining, and would like to be a panelist, please provide
> a title and an abstract of what you might share with in in a 10~15
> minute brief.    (09)

I have said my piece above.  I would rather listen to others.    (010)

> 5. besides PatCassidy, who else has (access to) a UoM related
> ontology, that he/she can upload to the OOR sandbox and some other
> publicly accessible ontology repository? (if the latter, please advise
> where the repository is.)    (011)

I have a sketch (UML diagrams with definitions) built for another (now
dubious) project, which I will upload.    (012)

Surely this must also have been addressed in Cyc and DOLCE and BSO.    (013)

-Ed    (014)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (015)