Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher J. O. Baker" <cbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:10:56 +0800
Hello    (01)

I find myself agreeing with Mark's comments about users of
the refrigerator. Information systems and their services
can strongly influence ontology development, evolution and
utility. To me it would make sense to have the context of
the ontology usage as part of an evaluation process and
provide a classification of ontologies according to their
original purpose. Practitioners in a given domain could also
contribute comments on the added value of the ontology
based system in their context.    (02)

In our Knowlegator system for literature navigation,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18315858?dopt=AbstractPlus    (03)

 the OWL ontology is:
(i) used as a query model with explicit semantics for visual query building,
(ii) used as a data model for instantiation and indexing of text segments (to
generate a knowledgebase).     (04)

we have focussed on 2 application domains Lipidomics and
Dengue (a viral disease). We do care about about the domain
exhaustiveness of the ontology and its granularity but must
match this with the level of terminology used in scientific
papers - a well know problem. In addition to texts and
ontology we have to specify some rules for instantiation of
sentences and their domain specific terms (from text mining) to the ontology.
As the domain content of our ontologies evolves in scope
(based on user requests) we need to reassess their
usability in our information system and consider how other
components must evolve also. I mean to
say there are cyclic and interative steps in our ontology
development and information system design which go beyond
the domain conceptualization process.      (05)

Reusability:    (06)

I also want to mention that there are inconsitencies in the
way OWL is used by different ontology developers and this
can be a major headache when integrating fragments of
knowledge from different ontologies for use in new systems
e.g OWL instances with annotation properties or Classes
with numeric class names which have no explict meaning
relying on ontology based applications to read RDF labels.
This is only OK if all ontologies are in this format.
Reusability has many facets and should also be an
evaluation criterion particularly in the context of using
ontologies with reasoners. On average only 30 % of 'online
ontologies' can be used for reasoning tasks, based on their
correct coding.     (07)