Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] What means

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:52:01 -0500
Pat C. and Mark,    (01)

Your comments are well taken, and they add more evidence for
my point that there is no consensus about what a gatekeeper
should include or exclude and on what basis any such decisions
should be made.  Therefore, I recommend that we have a *caretaker*
for the OOR, not a gatekeeper.    (02)

The metadata would be more than sufficient to show all the reviews,
tests, and user reports that would enable potential users to decide
which option(s) to choose.    (03)

PC> Among the 'reviewers' is there any reason not to have an
 > expert committee that can create a binary distinction of, e.g.
 > "well-structured" and "not well-structured"?  The imprimatur
 > can be an alternative to absolute exclusion, and still serve
 > the legitimate concerns that Barry has about poorly constructed
 > ontologies.    (04)

Such groups would certainly be useful, but they don't have to be
official parts of the OOR.  They can be outside groups that
provide a "Good Housekeeping Award for Ontologies", which would
award a little star to be attached to any web site devoted to
that ontology.    (05)

As Ed B. mentioned, such roles may be best performed at the level
of users, organizations of users, or other bodies that represent
the specialized interests of a domain or group of users related by
common interests and applications.  But this function would be
performed from the point of view of a certain group of users,
not from the point of view of the people who developed a particular
ontology.    (06)

MM> I think ontologies are much more like refrigerators than they
 > are like journal articles.  I view ontologies as artifacts.  Not
 > surprisingly, I am much more interested in the opinions of people
 > who actually use refrigerators than I am of experts in thermodynamics,
 > product manufacturing, or mechanical engineering.  The latter are
 > people who can inspect a particular refrigerator very carefully for
 > surface-level flaws, but who may have no first-hand knowledge of
 > what happens when you actually plug it in.    (07)

I strongly agree.    (08)