Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology communities

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: abond@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:27:42 -0500
As noted in the recent ontology summit phone conference, I'd like
to suggest a more social and applications approach to defining
an ontology, as having perhaps three main components or dimensions:    (01)

1. The community or communities, who have knowledge of the
subject, express the ideas and use the knowledge.
2. The theory or language which is used to express the
knowledge.
3. The expressed and codified knowledge and its applications
in the field.
We also need to include another group which are
the theoreticians who develop theoretical frameworks
and languages for use by communities but who do
not develop ontologies themselves.    (02)

I think we need a process of practical validation of the theoretical
ideas, so that theories are grounded in practice. At a recent
meeting I attended, the feedback from the field was that
very few of the issues which were exercising theoreticians
were relevant to practicioners, and vica-versa.    (03)

Alan Bond    (04)

Quoting Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>:    (05)