Re: [ontology-summit] Coordinating the reduction of the summit discussio

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:16:58 -0800
Responding in-line below.  =ppy
--    (01)

paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx wrote Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:10:54 +0700:
> Sorry I could not talk, it's the middle of the night here in Asia and
> from home only only have basic access
>
> First, I really want to thank Peter for the great effort it keeping up
> this community and coordinating all these events    (02)

[ppy]  Thanks. Glad you were able to join us (despite all the
difficulties.)    (03)

> just a few quick points I wanted to add for discussion
>
> = organise remote attendande/participation to the summit for those who
> may not be able to
> join physically
> -  can we please set up group chats/text conferences alongside voice
> for the future? chat can be  like a bridge so that I can still manage
> to have an input, can also serve as minutes for discussions    (04)

[ppy] we generally do that during our panel discussion events,
see, for example,
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_01_25#nidSHV
... although it gets very little use (maybe most people were able
to get adequate voice communication before.)    (05)

> Half heard points:(apologies if misheard something)
>
> 1_what do we have the folksonomy for, whats the point? who asked that?
>
> I think the main point of integrating the folskonomy perspective into
> an ontology building exercise is to promote participation = if all the
> stakeholder can participate in producing the view,the latter is more
> likely to correspond to reality, It is true however that a folksonomy
> should be well managed to be useful/productive for ontology building
> purpose
> This means: it should be clear what property, or attributes, or
> relationships are being elicited - also, some editing of the
> folksonomy may be necessary to make sure it fits
> a given schema
>
> 2 I am glad that other people have realised that there
> is a tendency towards calling
> xml schemas ontologies. but why is that happening? what incorrect
> references are out there that people are using? I guess we just need
> to step up the ongoing educational campaign about what is an ontology    (06)

[ppy] Agreed. As several of the people indicated on earlier posts
or at the call today, "Ontology Summit 2007" is NOT about
defining what is a TRUE ontologies, it is about developing a
shared understanding, among the broader community, and come up
with a taxonomy (ontology?) of "ontology" or "so-called ontology"
things.    (07)

Rather than telling people what "to" and what "not to" call an
"ontology," we want people to tell us, instead, what they "mean"
when they called something an "ontology" this time.    (08)

This is an attempt to make sense out of unavoidable chaos.
Personally, I believe if we can be successful in that, we will be
making progress (vis-a-vis the Ontolog charter.)    (09)

Steve Ray's 2006.01.18 Launch slides
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_01_18#nidSMN
said it well, and quite adequately.    (010)

> 3. re. conference, I am glad that it's being kept at arm's lengh
> However, if they want to provide free space for this community, like a
> booth or an open panel  in exchange for nothing at all, that would be
> a very nice gesture
> Gilbane experimented that with Oscom this year, will seek feedback    (011)

[ppy] Thanks.    (012)

> 4. re wiki tutorial
> peter, can we just have a quick link to the wiki syntax on all the pages?
> this will help some    (013)

[ppy]  the syntax is fairly straight forward. There is only one
paragraph to read carefully
(http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidA)
before starting with editing the wiki. A lot of times, its more
than whether one knows (or remembers) the syntax. It's also about
developing a community culture on how we do things on the wiki.
We captured what was discussed today on the session page under:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_02_15#nidU8O
... do check it out.    (014)

> probably more, will follow
>
> thanks again Peter for the great effort
> let me know how can I help
> regards
>
> Paola Di Maio    (015)

[ppy]  I'll make sure we fire up the chat tool the next time you
are able to join us at a session (whether or not its a "panel
discussion" event. We'll definitely be looking to you for some
input from the constituency(ies) you would associate yourself
with (web 2.0 & FOAF community in particular).    (016)

Thanks again.    (017)

Regards.  =ppy
--    (018)