Re: [ontology-summit] Defining "ontology"

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:39:22 -0500
One of the big schisms in types of ontology that I see is a difference in an ontological representation (model) that is intended to organize knowledge at the level of terms, and a model that is intended to organize knowledge at the level of meaning.

If you look at the Ontology Spectrum that was presented to the Ontolog group last year by Dr. Leo Obrst, you see a progression of ontology representation techniques, from controlled vocabularies and simple data models, up through thesauri, taxonomy techniques, up to axiomatized systems and logic based models (and beyond).  One of the big shifts I have seen is the difference in emphasis of lower level models (thesauri and controlled vocabularies, for instance) on terms, and the attempt of upper level models (axiom based systems, logic models) on definitions.  For different communities, differently focused applications, both appear equally useful, but they are very different.

From all of this, possibly an axis of differentation for ontologies can exist to show the focus of what the ontology is defining, and the depth of it's intended use.

Chuck

Charles Turnitsa
Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
7000 College Drive
Suffolk, Virginia 23435
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
(757) 686-6214 (fax)