Re: [ontology-summit] Defining "ontology"

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Deborah L. McGuinness" <dlm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: AJ Chen <ajchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:39:49 -0600

I read Deborah's paper, Leo's presentation and other materials on ontology spectrum that were mentioned on this list. I found it's a nice way to view how knowledge representation has been evolved. If I understand correctly, the ontology spectrum view implies the term "ontology" is used almost as the replacement for "knowledge representation".

In addition to the broad view from "ontology spectrum", I'm interested in looking deeply in the more strictly defined ontology space, where an ontology represents a specific aspect of the real world using class objects that can be expressed in clearly defined languages (like RDF, OWL). By focusing on this strict ontology space, I hope we may be able to come up with some sort of framework that will help people develop more reusable ontologies (in RDF/OWL or newer languages). A classification scheme may be one component of this framework.

There are probably lots of work done in this direction already that I don't know about. Please provide pointers to any relevant work if you know any. Coming from object-oriented software development background, my sense is that we should be able to learn a lot from reusable software design. When an ontology is coded in a language, it's conceptually possible to map the ontology to a layer of ontologies designed with different granularity. And these different layers of ontologies should be about to talk to each other in an integrated application.

Again, using examples of real ontologies to further understand the problem of reusability is neccessary. In my previous post, I tried to use my own examples to illustrate the problem.  Hope more people will bring their examples into the discussion as well.

AJ
--
AJ Chen, PhD
http://www.web2express.org