Re: [ontology-summit] Defining "ontology"

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:48:21 -0500
John,    (01)

I think I could construct a logically consistent theory that is
nonsensical. Indeed it might be useful in some far possible world, but
one nowhere near close to our own. In fact, one might even consider it
the mission of science to find among a potentially infinite number of
(and dare I say consistent) theories about the world, the best or right
ones (where "best" means something like fully descriptive of the
domain, predictive, even explanatory, most concise, and bridging well
to other known theories; I know this gets us into philosophy of
science)?      (02)

And of course, one can vary the logic too, so I guess one has to always
say "consistent in the logic used", and define consistency. And there
are formalizations of so-called impossible worlds.     (03)

Although mathematical theories are abstract, are they not a part of the
world? By part of the world, I don't necessarily mean empirically
determinable (though even this can beg the question).     (04)

So I am not convinced that (ontology = logical theory) only.    (05)

Thanks,
Leo    (06)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (07)