Re: [ontology-summit] Defining "ontology"

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:11:30 -0500
Chris,    (01)

Yes, I agree:    (02)

> I am general agreement with your definition, John, except for the
> criterion of consistency -- not that it isn't a good idea, but the
> consistency problem in propositional logic is NP-complete and it's
> flat out undecidable in predicate logic (by Church's theorem, a
> corollary to Gödel's incompleteness theorem).  Hence, it is simply
> theoretically impossible in general to enforce.    (03)

I was trying to give some modest support to Leo's desire to eliminate
nonsense, but I admit that there are no good ways of doing that.    (04)

The equivalent for programming languages would be to outlaw any
program that gets hung up in a loop.  Although it may be desirable
to do so, such a prohibition would cause Microsoft to go bankrupt
and create an inconvenient hiccup in the stock market.    (05)