Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology of ontology

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Denny, Michael" <dennym@xxxxxxx>
From: AJ Chen <ajchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:58:44 -0600

In order to find ways to classify or describe ontologies more clearly for the purpose of comparison/reuse, it would be good to look into some real world examples of problems that people have encountered before. This will help us understand the conceptual discussion going on at the same time.

When I first started to design an ontology for self-publishing of experiment data (SPE), I had gone through the exact problem that this forum is trying to solve or ease. The requirement was to provide ontology classes and properties to describe experiment and related information, including experiment, researcher, group, organization, protocol, publication, etc. The ontology should be a shallow one so that it can be used for any research. Of cource, I wanted to reuse existing ontologies as much as possible. So, I surveyed almost all of the well-known ontologies, some for more common objects like people and publication and others for deep scientific domain knowledge (gene, functional genomics). Unfortunately, I ended up to redefine everything except for a few common terms from dublin core.

So, the problem was that I wasn't able to reuse the existing ontologies to the extend I wished for. I could be because of me. But, I hope this forum could come up with some ways (guides or tools) to help people evolve their ontologies for better reusability.

AJ
--
AJ Chen, PhD
http://www.web2express.org