Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology of ontology

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Denny, Michael" <dennym@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:23:48 -0500

Mills,

Yes, characterizing the capabilities of an ontology in respect to the kinds of problems it can be applied to would seem right to the point and useful to end users.  I think that finding a way to specify the ontology’s “mission” as the range of domain queries it is suited for, and possible dependencies and enhancements from other domain ontologies, would be part of it.  This may be what the authors of the aforementioned ontologies of ontology have in mind when including their “profile” concept.

Mike

Michael Denny, Ph.D.

Principal Ontologist

Concurrent Technologies Corporation (CTC)

100 CTC Drive

Johnstown, PA  15904

Phone:  (814) 248-7518    Mobile: (814) 322-8721