Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology of ontology

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: AJ Chen <ajchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:39:48 -0800
My Experience with designing shallow ontologies for open data on semantic web

In supporting the scientific publishing task force under w3c HCLS group, I need to design a shallow ontology for people to self-publish experiment data as single unit in semantic format. The related information such as project, protocol, product used, researcher, and research group should be also covered by the ontology. The main use of the ontology is to make searching and sharing data on the web more effective.

I have surveyed almost all of the related ontologies that I can find because it would be good to reuse as many existing classes and properties as possible. However, I have found that very little can be reused from the existing ontologies to build the ontology needed for the project. Here are my general observations:

(1)   The existing classes may have names similar to the class I need, but they usually don’t have any property defined yet or have quite different properties.

(2)   The existing properties, especially of the type of ObjectProperty, may have similar definition in words, but they don’t really have the range (i.e. data type) desired by the properties I need.

(3)   Deep ontologies in several scientific domains are quite comprehensive, but the terms may have narrower scope (e.g. limited to one scientific domain) or are in such a deep hierarchy that they can’t be used effectively for web search application.

(4)   When describing one object like an experiment, there is actually a spectrum of needs. At one end of the spectrum, simple description at coarse level may satisfy the need already (such as web search application), while at the other high granularity is required.

To illustrate my points, I provide a few examples below. The class and its properties that I need are listed first, followed by the main related classes and properties I have considered to reuse. More examples can be added if this becomes helpful to our discussion.

Example 1:

Class spe:Experiment

Definition: A single experiment, usually done by a defined procedure, including but not limited to scientific experiments. An experiment may start from a hypothesis and if so, the conclusion should articulate results in relation to the hypothesis, e.g. rejection, supported, etc.  This allows a search engine to discover what has happened to what hypothesis. Some main concepts like proteins or genes can be identified by URI in a list so that one can unambiguously search all the works that have been done related to any specific concept.  It should uniquely identify the protocols, additional tools, and references, which serve as important links for effective discovery of related information.

Properties:

dc:title  (experiment name)
dc:type  (type of experiment)
dc:subject  (related disciplines like biology, medicine, chemistry, computer, software, etc. using keywords or key phrases, may be chosen from controlled vocabularies)
spe:associatedProject  (project composed of the experiment)
spe:introduction
spe:hypothesis  (hypothesis for the experiment if any)
spe:procedure  (specific to this experiment, may use protocols for some of the steps)
spe:protocolUsed  (protocols used in the procedure, by URIs)
spe:productUsed   (list critical tools that are used in the procedure but not covered in any protocol used, by URI)
spe:data
spe:dataLink  (URI to additional data source that can't be represented here)
spe:result  (result of the experiment)
spe:conclusion  (articulate if the hypothesis is supported or rejected)
spe:discussion
spe:mainConcept  (URI to some main concepts, uniquely identified by URI )
spe:conductedBy  (who conducts the experiment, by URI)
spe:PI   (principle investigator for the experiment, by URI)
boon:startTime  (experiment start time )
boon:endTime  (experiment end time)
boon:status  (an experiment may be published while it's still in progress)
spe:publishedIn  (publications using the experiment's data and results, by URI)
dc:references  (URIs to publications this experiment refers to, by URI)
dc:isReferencedBy  (may list the publications that make reference to this experiment, by URI)
boon:fundingSource
dc:description
dc:publisher
dc:license
dc:rights
boon:createdBy  (someone who publishes the experiment, not necessarily the experimenter)
boon:createTime
boon:updatedBy
boon:updateTime
boon:altwebpage  (related or alternative web page, URL)

Examples of related classes in other existing ontologies:

OBI:study  -  a term similar to experiment, but definition limited to biomedical  study; no property is defined for the class. Not the same as spe:Experiment.

EXPO:ScientificExperiment – limited to science domain; not clear what properties it has.

Examples of related properties in other existing ontologies:

OBI:hypothesis – same definition as spe:hypothesis, but domain and range not defined in current version. Not appropriate for now, but may be re-used after domain and range are defined.

OBI: protocol – only has the term at this point, no property defined for this class.  Not appropriate.

EXPO:ResearchHypothesis – subclass of ExperimentalHypothesis, but no property defined; not clear what the hypothesis is expressed in.

EXPO:ExperimentalProtocol – a class without any property defined.

EXPO:ExperimentalResults – a class without property defined.

Example 2:

Class boon:Person

Properties:

boon:name   (full name)
boon:salutation  (Dr., Mr., Ms., etc.)
dc:type  (functional category, such as research, development, production, business. etc.)
dc:subject  (related disciplines like biology, medicine, chemistry, software, etc.)
boon:jobTitle  (job title)
boon:role  (job function, etc)
boon:expertise  (skill set, experience, etc)
boon:interest  (professional interest areas)
boon:currentProject  (current project the person has)
boon:pastProject  (past projects the person did)
spe:hasPublication   (publications the person has)
boon:inGroup  (group the person is in)
boon:inOrganization  (organization the person is in)
boon:workContact  (work contact info)
boon:bioLink  (url link to biography)
boon:altwebpage
boon:createTime
boon:updateTime
boon:webpage
dc:rights

Examples of related class and properties:

FOAF:Person – similar, but its properties are quite different. It also misses some important properties a researcher (a Person) usually has, including expertise, role, group, organization, full contact info, etc.

FOAF:currentProject – range is owl:Thing, which is too broad. A research should have a current project pointing to an existing Project instance.

FOAF:interest – range is foaf:Document.  A literal or string should be good enough.

AJ Chen, Ph.D.
Palo Alto, CA. USA
1-650-283-4091
web2express.org