Re: [ontology-summit] Defining "ontology"

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:50:26 -0500
For a few years from 1996 to 1998, there was an ad hoc working group
on ontology, which was a spin off from the NCITS T2 Committee on
Information Interchange and Interpretation.    (01)

As part of that effort, I drafted a glossary of terms on ontology,
which was reviewed by that committee.  I incorporated the comments
and suggestions in the glossary, which I posted on my web site:    (02)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/gloss.htm    (03)

This glossary does not have any formal status, and the most that
can be said is that I continued to revise it until people got tired
of making further suggestions or criticisms.  The participants
included many of the usual suspects, but I take full blame for
any shortcomings in the contents or definitions.    (04)

    http://www-ksl.stanford.edu/onto-std/nov-97-participants.html
    nov-97-participants    (05)

One of the activities of the T2 committee was to prepare ANSI and ISO
standards for conceptual graphs and KIF.  That activity was eventually
transferred to the NCITS L8 committee, which folded both projects into
a single project on Common Logic.  That has resulted in the FCD (Final
Committee Draft) of Common Logic, which is now in the final review
stage.  If there are no objections other than editorial and formatting
changes, it should become an ISO standard in 6 months.  For a copy, see    (06)

    http://cl.tamu.edu    (07)

John Sowa    (08)