ontology-summit-advisors

Re: [ontology-summit-advisors] Plea for filling out the surveys

To: OntologySummit2010 Advisory Committee <ontology-summit-advisors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Deborah MacPherson <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:00:08 -0500
It will be interesting to see the survey results. I thought the second survey

Survey on Ontologists Training Requirements

was most useful. Both the questions, and whatever the answers turn out to be, are most likely to be what I could show my employer, collaborators, or people from other industries crashing into the building industry. These results may be able to help explain how ontologies can direct all the energies devoted to fast deadlines and one-off solutions into a common direction.

The space where buildings, geospatial, and emergency management are all starting to converge is facing a number of challenges with construction slang, "the way things have always been done", fierce competition for the few projects still going on, lack of money all around, long histories of proprietary terms, incomplete vocabularies, lack of shared data dictionaries, inconsistent taxonomies and similar problems that need ontologies to meld the different missions into high performance communication systems.

Deb MacPherson

Deborah L. MacPherson CSI CCS, AIA
Specifications and Research Cannon Design
Projects Director, Accuracy&Aesthetics