Re: [ontolog-forum] Ockham's razor should not be used as a butcher knife

To: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Nadin, Mihai" <nadin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 18:35:08 +0000

Thomas Johnston:

to affect the future that we anticipate.

Things are a bit more nuanced: we deal with the future in a variety of ways. Indeed: to guess, to expect, to forecast, premonition, foresight and prediction are different. And anticipation is different from all I mentioned (left out prolepsis, and a bunch of others).

One link: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-07-human-brain-alpha-band-oscillation-phase.html

Temporal predictions in the brain inform many of our choices. These are autonomic processes.

Steve Newcomb:

Wry aside: "Life is what happens while we're making other plans." -- attributed to John Lennon

After reading the short note in Medicalxpress (and probably some of my work on anticipation) you would laugh even more.

Mihai Nadin

www.nadin.ws

www.anteinstitute.org