Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 20:17:09 -0500

On Apr 4, 2015, at 8:37 AM, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Dear John,
>
> MW
>> I'm assuming you happen to have two bits of ontology that are
>> pre-existing and that you want to make use of, that happen to have
>> different upper level ontologies. I haven't come across an example
>> either, but I guess it could happen.
>
> Again, look at Schema.org.  Its upper level is very underspecified, but it's
> widely used.  Users who share information expressed in the categories of
> Schema.org make no assumptions about a more detailed upper level.  Most of
> them probably have no upper level.
>
> [MW>] I find it interesting that it seems that minimising the axioms in your
> ontology seems to help for exchange of information. Yet without axioms you
> have nothing to reason over.    (02)

But you do have, at least, a global agreement on which name to use for each
concept, or perhaps more accurately each concept-cluster, since users will not
be thinking of exactly the same things when they use the name. But just this
bare minimum of loose agreement on names to use for things is a huge advance
over the situation we have been in up to now.     (03)

I strongly suspect that the main achievement of the semantic-web/linked-data
movement might simply be a universally used lexicon for referring to a large
fraction of the things people want to communicate about, backed up with places
to plug in axioms where they are needed, which will not be everywhere. And of
course, what Kingsley calls 'sponsorship' can also be called 'adoption', which
is all that is required to create a universal lexicon.     (04)

Pat    (05)

> Obviously the best level to state an axiom,
> when you state it, is the one highest level at which it always applies, and
> not just in the current application.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk
> +44 750 338 5279

>     (06)

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)