Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 20:14:04 +0100
Dear David,    (01)

Hi Matthew    (02)

Actually you do not always need to have shared names of types of things.
[MW>] By names of types I mean things like pump and valve. Is that what you
mean?
As an example, in an environmental reporting app we persist the data in a 4D
ontology but  project it into a 3D ontology. The 3D ontology drives the
read/write API used in the user interface and for query. There is nothing
shared between the two ontologies, only the URIs of the facts are the same.
[MW>] So how do you make sure the data about pumps doesn't end up being
interpreted as data about a valve?    (03)

We have not seen a case yet where two upper ontologies were useful, but I
guess that is a possibility.
[MW>] I'm assuming you happen to have two bits of ontology that are
pre-existing and that you want to make use of, that happen to have different
upper level ontologies. I haven't come across an example either, but I guess
it could happen.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk
+44 750 338 5279    (06)

Just wanted people to know these are not only abstract philosophical
ramblings, these scenarios are real in some engineering enterprises.    (07)

Cheers
David Price
UK +44  7788 561308
US +1 336 283 0606    (08)

> On 2 Apr 2015, at 9:28 am, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Dear Pat,
> I've been struggling a bit to understand what it is you are saying,
> but I think I may have it at last.
> I think what you are saying is that you can state facts in a neutral
> way that would allow them to be imported and reasoned over by either
> an ontology that was endurantist or perdurantist, and this gives you
> an easy way to federate a group of ontologies. You'd obviously have to
> have shared names for the types of things you were talking about, but
> as long as you leave any axioms in the exporting and importing
> ontologies, and don't try to impose them across the exchange, you
> should be just fine, and as long as the axioms are valid within their own
framework you should be able to do useful work.
> Is that right?
> I certainly think that works for a lot of the time, but I think there
> are edges where you might have to work a bit harder. The obvious
> example would be the need to recognise that the endurant object and
> its life were the same thing when translated into a perdurant ontology and
vice versa.

> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk
> +44 750 338 5279

Press.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Leo

domain scientists thinking (assuming their thinking is rational).