Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 11:49:35 -0400
On 4/4/2015 10:46 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Should "English" be mandated for Ontology construction? What about all
> the non native English speakers that also want to participate in the
> global act of encoding and decoding information, aided by ontologies?    (01)

I was talking about Schema.org, which uses English.    (02)

When I talk about controlled NLs, I use the generic term NL.    (03)

> Basically, underspecification isn't its fundamental virtue. It's a
> combination of underspecification and sponsorship (Google, Yahoo!,
> Microsoft, Yandex, W3C, and others) that's made it successful.    (04)

I agree, but one that had more details wouldn't have succeeded
even with all the backing.    (05)

Note the rapid growth of the WWW, which was implemented by a
small group at a research center to support a bunch of academics.    (06)

Another example:  In the mid 1990s, Linus Torvalds was asked about
his goals for Linux.  He jokingly replied "World domination."    (07)

Today, that joke is reality.  And it all started with one student
in Finland who couldn't afford a commercial version of Unix, so
he implemented his own.    (08)