Re: [ontolog-forum] Child architecture

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 12:07:04 -0500
Philip,

Thank you for your observation, I too had some difficulty understanding Steven's approach. Maybe I still don't understand it fully but let me offer this...

* * * * * * * *
Steven,

Modeling of human perception has been an area of extensive investigation since before I became aware of it in '72. It was in early use in photo work back to the earliest airborne recon work. A few years ago I worked on a system for TV signals that had the goal of determining the type of signal without fully modeling the human visual system. The goal of modeling the human visual system is one of the "holy grail" pursuits that is unlikely to ever be solved because of the complexity of the problem space. People have different visual responses, populations have different names for visual components, noise affects vision differently in different people and the eyes are basically components extensions of the brain and subject to training.

So, what can one do? There was a concerted industry effort in the U.S. and other countries to determine the content and correlation of TV signals against known signals. Why do this:

 º  If you are a cable TV provider, you would like to know if the signal the subscriber sees is close to what is being sent. For example, the quality of a 1950's movie is not the same as that of a more recent digital movie, so knowing the degradation may show that it is not be due to the transmission channel.

 º If you would like to know if someone is pirating a film, then you can compare what is being shared over the Internet with a list of the movies for which you have copyrights. This is the technology that wound up being used in the Six Strikes monitoring of Internet channel content.

If this could be done without modeling the human visual system it could be faster and less expensive. That is what transpired, developed by the various international corporations with assistance from the U.S. Commerce Dept in Boulder using the Commerce Department patent..

The patent is online if you would like to see how they dealt with this problem. I believe future systems will take this approach to perceptual modeling, if the resultant model can meet their requirements.
      http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20070088516.pdf

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems
 Concord, MA USA