Re: [ontolog-forum] Child architecture

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 15:36:51 +0100

Hello Steven,    (01)

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 01:10:00PM -0800, Steven Ericsson-Zenith wrote:
> By implication this suggests that "consciousness" (again, however you mean
> it) is a property of the existence of hard disks or, at least, bit patterns.
>
> You see the problem, I trust.    (02)

What problem? Are you talking about qualia? I do not think that Philip is
talking about qualia. But even if so, is there a problem?    (03)

We can take things even further. Make the computation time-reversible, run it
forward, backward and forward again. There is no point asking the machine what
it experienced during that.    (04)

Or make a closed simulation without input/output to the real world. Does it
make any difference if the simulation is actually started or not? After all,
all the information is there from the start and no information would be lost
during simulation. We will get no answer.    (05)

Once we declare something so evidently present as our conciousness to be
abstract, why stop with the real world?    (06)

One could argue that this way lies madness (The Hamlet quote at the end of
this text fits):    (07)

http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hpm/project.archive/general.articles/1998/SimConEx.98.html    (08)

But I gave up the notion that things must be sane long ago.    (09)

Let's spare the religious wars until we actually have intelligence running on a
different substrate.    (010)

Regards,    (011)

Michael Brunnbauer    (012)

--