Re: [ontolog-forum] Child architecture

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 15:26:02 +0100

Hello Steven,    (01)

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 05:13:52PM -0800, Steven Ericsson-Zenith wrote:
> I like Aaronson's work and find much to agree with. However, It should be
> clear that I believe, speaking now as a computational theorist with much
> experience in dealing with parallelism and locality, that we need new
> ideas.    (02)

I never heard of the term locality in the context of information theory.    (03)

If you're into parallelism, do you have an opinion about NC = P?    (04)

> The hump that I overcame a decade ago is to accept that there is something
> new in biophysics and that this is now accessible due to biophysical
> research funded for other means.    (05)

Please provide pointers.    (06)

> What do I mean by "non-locality that is evident in biophysics"? I would ask
> you to sit at a desk with a couple of thumb tacks, one in each hand, and
> play with them awhile and to tell me if the answer is not readily apparent,
> or better and more fun, to ask you to listen to Beethoven, view
> magazines while you masturbate, and eat honey :-)  If the non-locality in
> biology is not then readily apparent to you then there may indeed be
> (philosophical) Zombies among us.    (07)

I have no idea what you are talking about and I assure you that I can hold my
own in a discussion of qualia. I was expecting pointers to research instead
of metaphysical arguments.    (08)

I thought that you use the term locality in the physicists sense of local
relativistic causality.    (09)

> It is time for us to put aside the
> inactive and passive view of what philosophers call "qualia."    (010)

Who says that qualia have to be passive? This is only necessary if the
functional equivalents of concious beings behave in the same way as the
originals and nobody has been able to test this assumption yet.    (011)

> Imagine a holomorphic function that
> describes a dynamic "shape" upon the surface of such structure (producing
> an apprehension) and a holomorphic function upon the "opposite" surface
> that describes the shape of a response    (012)

What are the units involved in the inputs and outputs of these functions?
If they describe a dynamic shape, time must go into the inputs. I guess with
the imaginary part? The real part is space then? The output is complex-valued?
What does it mean?    (013)

> and combine the two in a hyper-function    (014)

The jump from apprehension to response? At t=0? So what?    (015)

Isn't there an information loss about the time/space neighbourhood if I only
look at the hyper-function? You speak about recognition and memory that
comes for free in energy terms later.    (016)

> Imagine a simplified bacteria with receptor formation
> potentials at one end and motor function potentials at the other. My claim
> is that this mechanism is the basis of all thinking, feeling, and all
> "life", at all levels.    (017)

I do not see a mechanism. How did you describe a mechanism?    (018)

For me, a mechanism is an evolution rule from past to future of a *single*
system. The separation of apprehension and response seems strange.    (019)

> There are obviously a lot of questions that remain to be answered and a lot
> more work to do.
>
> I hope this clarifies.    (020)

It's probably best if I wait for the book :-)    (021)

Regards,    (022)

Michael Brunnbauer    (023)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer