Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology vs KR

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:42:47 +0000

Ali,

I think that the connection to philosophical ontology is more than superficial, and something would be lost in reducing it to KR + schema.

Specifically, I would posit that some confusion arises because the philosophical underpinnings of the ontological assumptions that make their way into ontology artefacts and systems are glossed over or taken for granted.

+1

As Matthew said, the ontological commitments underlying these knowledge representations are very important.

-Ed