Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology vs KR

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali H <asaegyn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:00:29 -0400
Dear Steven,

It seems to me that any ontology is always grounded in some epistemology. Most of the discourse in this forum seems grounded in some epistemology that is taken to be true for some purpose (I can already envisage Hans Polzer's email to this effect).

In the context of accounting for the epistemology validity of an ontological claim (alternatively, an epistemological interpretation of an ontological claim), I must admit I'm surprised that probabilistic logic does not make much of an appearance in most ontology texts either.

That said, I'm curious to what degree ontologists identify with Brian C. Smith's knowledge representation hypothesis, and to what extent ontology is defined as grounding the selection (a) vs driving the application of (a) in (b).

Best,
Ali