Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology vs KR

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali H <asaegyn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 11:38:07 -0400
Dear Ed,

Wow, seven days and I have a lot to catch up. Firstly, thank you for taking the time to respond thoughtfully.

I agree that titles can be informative, and one can glean something from Brian Smith's intent given the context in which he wrote those words.

That said, my interpretation of Smith's use of "process" in his quote is that it applies to the entity that is processing the knowledge, not necessarily a specific process. In the context of computational ontology as it's evolved in the past 30 years, I would posit that the system in which the ontology is situated in, is an adequate analogue to Smith's "embodied intelligent process", which is the "process" he refers to.

I suppose my initial question suffered from an ambiguity as to whether it referred to an ontology as an artefact or ontology as a field. And on reflection this difference was not appropriately acknowledged in the question.

As I'm sure you're well aware, there is copious literature in AI and ontology on differentiating the various levels of representation (see [1], [2], [3] among others) - and I appreciate and see the value in these distinctions.

I agree that ontological analysis should not muddy the waters by conflating various issues. That said, as an ontological engineer or a knowledge engineer or someone who is creating an ontology supposedly for some purpose other than an end in itself, this is clearly inadequate. That is to say, considering ontological analysis on its own is useful, but inadequate in building an ontology-based system.

Any particular ontology artefact will reside in some system. It will be reasoned upon by some process, which will be at some level of abstraction, procedural.

If I were to rephrase the original question, I'd wonder whether / where those who practice ontology (in the computational sense) draw the boundaries alluded to in Smith's excerpt. Secondly, I'd wonder whether it makes sense to consider an ontology artefact modulo epistemic and/or procedural constraints.

Certainly, it would appear that one of the dominant forces in ontology engineering (sem web) has been to internalize and prioritize procedural concerns into the core of ontological analysis and consequently representation.

I'm unsure if I'm articulating my intention clearly, but greatly appreciate your response.

Basically, I would agree that ontological analysis should focus defining what is (though it seems that process is a core part of what is), but I wonder if this is then projected on the creation and application of the ontology artefact too stringently. It seems many of the issues and difficulties and quests for "true ontologies" or "ontology reuse" become much clearer when one expands the scope of the discipline to allow broader concerns, coming from epistemology, KR or whatever fields inform your view.

[1] Ronald J. Brachman "What's in a concept: structural foundations for semantic networks" International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 127-152, 1977,
[2] Allen Newell "The knowledge level" Artificial Intelligence, 1982
[3] Nicola Guarino "The Ontological Level: Revisiting 30 Years of Knowledge Representation" in Conceptual Modelling: Foundations and Applications 52-76, 2009

Best,
Ali