[ontolog-forum] Pentatonic debates (Was: Re: Ontology vs KR)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 11:30:24 -0500
The pentatonic scale, dividing the octave into five notes, is a recognizable
pattern in the folk music of many cultures. Pretty much any sequence of notes
in this scale sounds melodic, and many well-known melodies fit into it.
However, it has no semitones and is incapable of handling sophisticated musical
composition. After a while it gets kind of monotonous.     (01)

I would like to propose that we re-name ontolog forum as the Ontologist's
Pentatonic Scale, or OPS. The same arguments and points get made and re-made
over and over again, always at about the same philosophical depth. It is
entertaining at first, and like folk music it has a kind of reassuring
simplicity, but it gets boring after a while, as one tends to hear the same
melodies repeated for the hundreth time.     (02)

Anyone else agree?    (03)

Pat Hayes    (04)

On Oct 4, 2014, at 7:49 PM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (05)

> Pat C, Ed, Leo, Steven, Rich, and Mark,
>
> I'd like to quote Anna Wierzbicka's remark about her "primitives".
> Her point is also true of Longman's list of 2000 defining terms,
> which Pat has emphasized:
>
> AW, _Lexicography and Conceptual Analysis_
>> An adequate definition of a vague concept must aim not at precision,
>> but at vagueness:  it must aim at precisely that level of vagueness
>> which characterizes the concept itself.
>
> Anna W's list, Longman's list, and the synsets of WordNet are vague.
> That vagueness is *useful* for enabling incompatible predicates
> from inconsistent ontologies to be mapped to the same synsets.
> Those mappings are valuable for NLP, but not for detailed reasoning.
> Immanuel Kant summarized the issues:
>
> IK, _Logic_, Dover reprint.
>> Since the synthesis of empirical concepts is not arbitrary but based
>> on experience, and as such can never be complete (for in experience
>> ever new characteristics of the concept can be discovered), empirical
>> concepts cannot be defined. Thus only arbitrarily made concepts can
>> be defined synthetically. Such definitions... could also be called
>> declarations, since in them one declares one’s thoughts or renders
>> account of what one understands by a word. This is the case with
>> mathematicians.
>
> In short, you can have complete formal definitions in mathematics.
> Since every computer is formally specified, every program does
> something very precise -- but what it does so precisely might not
> be what the programmer had intended.
>
> EL
>> Thorough simplification leads to convergence in underlying features
>> of language design, such as the structure of information building
>> blocks that are well designed to be easily arranged.
>
> I assume that you're talking about the design of computer systems
> and languages.  I agree that those designs should be clean, simple,
> and formally defined.
>
> To draw an analogy, the difference between what a programmer says
> and what the program actually does is similar to the difference
> between WordNet and formal ontologies.
>
> Leo
>> One exception may be the foundations of mathematics (and logic)
>> such as Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory (ZFC) or variants...
>
> Kant would say that any mathematical system can be specified
> precisely.  But the question whether a single foundation can
> be adequate for every possible mathematical system has been
> hotly debated since it was first proposed in the 19th century.
>
> Leo
>> Then of course for science, to gauge/adjudicate scientific
>> theories, one gets into philosophy of science issues such
>> as theory succinctness...
>
> SE-Z
>> Not the case Leo ... There is no bridge constructed between
>> Pure Mathematics the Physical Sciences...
>
> I'll let Leo and Steven clarify what they mean.  But I'd emphasize
> [...]

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)