Re: [ontolog-forum] Pentatonic debates (Was: Re: Ontology vs KR)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 11:35:32 -0700
So, is it the people?
Or, is it the means by which these conversations are facilitated?
Or both?
Pat raised a valuable observation.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Barkmeyer, Edward J <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
John,

Recent research has apparently concluded that there are people who are truly 'tone deaf', although that is a misnomer.  They are quite capable of distinguishing musical tones and rhythms that are externally produced, but when they actuate their vocal apparatus to produce a tone they hear, they apparently can't tell that they are getting it wrong, so the feedback does not work to correct the pitch.  The "people who continue to sing parts of these melodies out of tune", with the emphasis on "continue", will never be able to sing in harmony, they can only become temporarily hoarse.

I realize that your purpose is to prevent the novice choristers from being led into discord.  The senior faculty is thankful for the generosity and patience of professors who are genuinely willing to teach freshman classes, even when they lack it themselves.  :-)

-Ed