Re: [ontolog-forum] Child language acquisition - RE: Paraconsistent Logi

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Philip Jackson <philipcjacksonjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:28:52 -0400
Simon,

On reflection, it seems clear your comments were in response to my statement "It must be this way because there is arguably no "universal grammar" that specifies the syntax of all natural languages...", which might be interpreted as a claim the example somehow is evidence against UG, though it was not my intent to say that.

In giving an example of the importance of pragmatics, there is no need to refer to UG, nor to take a side in theoretical arguments about UG.  Following is a revision of the paragraphs which removes the reference to UG, and also streamlines the text for the example:

Phil

In a talk about child language acquisition, Paul Vogt of Tilburg University first plays a soundtrack of a woman saying something in a foreign language, and asks the audience to guess what she's saying. No one can guess, since the language is from Africa, and the audience speaks only European languages. He then plays a video, which shows the woman standing in a small village with a child perhaps only 3 years old. She points to a cup on the ground and points to a bucket of water, and says the words no one in the audience could understand. It's now clear from the visual information that what she is saying means "Give me some water". The young child picks up the cup, fills it with water from the bucket, and gives it to her mother.

This simple example illustrates the relative importance of pragmatics, semantics, and syntax, for child language acquisition. The pragmatics (context information including visual information about the scene and gestures) enables understanding the semantics of speech, when a child is learning a language and doesn't yet understand syntax. Any infant with normal intelligence can learn any natural language, if it is raised by a parent who speaks that language. Yet adults cannot directly describe the syntax of a natural language to an infant, and there is a very wide space of possible language syntaxes. So very young children need to use pragmatic information to learn the semantics of speech in a language, and to also gradually learn the syntax. Anyone fortunate enough to watch a child learn to talk can observe that understanding pragmatics and semantics precedes and enables acquisition of syntax, for very young children.