Re: [ontolog-forum] Paraconsistent Logic

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:06:08 -0400
Christopher and Phil,    (01)

JFS
>> ... instead of Chomsky's naval gazing.    (02)

CS
> Congratulations on your pun with its allusion to Nelson at Trafalgar!    (03)

Sorry about the typo.  I can blame it on my cerebellum, which has
a direct mapping from the acoustic form to finger patterns.    (04)

PJ
> The question was addressed to JFS, but I'll offer a reply.    (05)

Your example, copied below, shows the importance of context and
pragmatics.  In my review of Masterman's book, I quoted her comments
about the work of the phoneticist Peter Guberina:    (06)

Quoted in http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/mmb_rev.htm
> A large part of Guberina's daily life is spent in developing
> electronic techniques for helping the deaf to speak. This means that,
> for him, what is being talked about — that is, the actual subject
> of any piece of discourse, and the linguistic elements that carry it
> — is vastly more important than what is said about it. If the deaf
> man can once pick up the subject of conversation, three-quarters
> of this problem is solved, even if he cannot hear all that is said
> about it. If, on the other hand, he clearly hears some one thing
> that is clearly said about some basic subject of discourse, while
> the actual subject of discourse remains unknown to him, very little
> of the deaf man's problem is solved; he has only heard one thing.    (07)

John    (08)