Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 17:15:28 +0100
Hi Ed,

Curious ... rather than trying to use named graphs to represent Messages, did you even consider modelling Messages and its content in your ontology? In your scenario, that seems a reasonable thing to do ... or maybe that's the 15926 in me talking, although that idea is in PLCS too.

We're working on our third EPIM semantic data hub project called LogisticsHub and it sounds like we have very similar requirements, except ELH is tracking cargo containers and the locations are RFID readers.. We've not needed to use named graphs to manage the message validation though, so that's why I'm curious.

We've found in this and previous projects is that RDF/OWL named graphs are usually better used as the "bucket of triples" for more practical/bookkeeping tasks like access control, caching, managing automated update of background facts, deleting data when a new version of the same report data needs to be uploaded to fix errors, versioning schemas, etc.  There are, of course, times when things are just too complex (e.g. like very complex access control rule requirements) to be handled using named graphs. In those cases, you just have to model your way out of trouble ... at least that's what we've found.

Cheers,
David

UK +44 7788 561308
US +1 336 283 0606