Re: [ontolog-forum] English number of words/concepts that cannot becompo

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 13:39:37 -0700
Your logic is sound, but the assumption you're
making is that there is only once set of concepts,
which you happen to be mapping to the Universe and
Everything.      (01)

The pragmatic obstacle is your assumption that
there are *any* fixed number of concepts which are
shared by all healthy humans.  That assumption
leaves out the examples of Fire, Women and
Dangerous Things (see below where that was
described).      (02)

Empirical evidence convinces me, at least, that
there are concepts inside individual people, and
everyone's precise concept is a subjective
construction by that person based on that person's
experience, and in communicating with other, very
culturally similar, people, who do share a few,
and perhaps many, of the same concepts.      (03)

This version requires extending John's "accordion"
effect onto concepts as well as onto words.  As a
result, my experience in building knowledge based
systems of many kinds is that each user has a
distinct set of concepts, which said user adjusts
as little as possible.  Adjusted concepts become
communicable with immediate others through
iterative attempts to understand them.      (04)

The adjustment what has to be made by said user so
said user can work within the GUI and assumptions
behind the system.  Users must also communicate
with outside interested parties about the system,
its operation, and its inputs, outputs, controls
and resources.      (05)

-Rich    (06)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper