Re: [ontolog-forum] English number of words/concepts that cannot be comp

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 16:13:25 -0400
Tom,
(comments embedded)

On 5/2/2014 10:52 AM, tknorr wrote:
Good morning,

I was wondering if this is a relatively stable number of concepts that
should be in any ontology/repository: the concepts of the English
language that cannot be described through a semantic sub-net.

It seems to me that we should be able to develop that number, if it
doesn't already exist somewhere.
The Oxford English Dictionary group (OED) has announced that their next version, OED3, will be available "real soon now" with a date of 2034. The estimate is that it will contain around 800,000 entries. And it would come in at around 40 volumes. There is doubt that it will ever be printed.
http://www.mhpbooks.com/third-edition-of-the-oed-to-be-completed-in-2034/
It is bound to be full of concepts. However, as far as concepts go; first it is hard to define a concept. I can give you several definitions off the top of my head and I'm sure others here could do likewise with some overlap.

There is a school of thought from Brodmann's work in physiology. It concerns the presence of neural columns along the cortex. These come in two versions; micro-columns and mini-columns. There are about 100 neurons in a micro-column and about 100 micro-columns in a mini-column. Columns are found throughout the nervous system including along the retina. Further, it is discussed that around 40% of the neurons in the cortex are actually neuronal couplets consisting of two neurons, bonded at several points in opposite directions. (One appears to be a control mechanism on the primary "voting" neuron.) The reference below concerns columns in monkeys and their brains are similar to humans with differences of a few Brodmann areas.
http://www.physics.drexel.edu/~ccruz/publications/2005_Cruz_JNM_Monkeys.pdf
The general consensus in The Brain (the journal) community is that columns serve as points that function to draw together data from a larger area around the column which might be interpreted as a concept (personal communication, John Nolte, "The Human Brain").

If you use Brodmann's measurements of the distance between columns you can "back-into" a figure of around 50,000 columns on the cortex. Certainly some of these are involved in basic communications. An key issue with communications is that responsive neuronal firings (called reciprocal firings) reinforce signaling of "interesting" information. Neurons are unidirectional. To establish a bi-directional channel between regions of the brain, there must be some neurons that associate sets of neurons in pairs to handle both directions.

This has been seen between the visual areas and the cortex. In effect, the cortex gets information from the visual center that is meaningful; as in "oh, that's a square, send me the same signal each time you see this shape." This way the visual center doesn't need to know what it means, just what its spatial information is. The signal is in a pattern of neurons firing that are impressed in a similar manner on the cortex. That pattern of multiple neurons represent a concept that the cortex finds interesting.

The difficulty with all of this is that neurons themselves reduce information sometimes 1000-3000 :1, so "it's turtles all the way down". Ultimately, everything in a natural language is a concept and each depends on large amounts of memory to shape speech concerning a linguistic concept.
To answer your question it is my opinion that it is more fruitful to focus on the task at hand and develop a technical vocabulary for the task that extends the core vocabulary. If you are not familiar with Ogden's work in Basic English core vocabulary that would be a good place to start. There are a number of others also, including Simple English and Simplified English. These have been useful for machine translation between NATO languages.

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems
 Concord, MA USA

Anyone have some pointers?