Re: [ontolog-forum] English number of words/concepts that cannot be comp

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: tknorr <tknorr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 08:02:36 -0700
Good morning,    (01)

I think I need to better phrase my question so this is not going into
the direction of how many concepts can be defined .. (my mistake, I
defined some criteria of the question in the subject line and not in the
body of the question. )    (02)

I am looking for (I'm going to call it) 'fundamental concepts' and I am
making the assumption that there is some basic agreed level of
definition of these concepts so we don't end up in Physics and Chemistry.    (03)

I am assuming this level is arbitrary and we can agree with it.    (04)

My criteria for 'fundamental concept' is that it cannot be replaced by a
semantic net-let that crosses the agreed level.    (05)

So John S, to take your examples:    (06)

Lebensversicherungsgesellschaftsangestellter is a concept but it clearly
is not fundamental. The semantic network behind it consists of at least
the concepts: life, insurance, company, employee, that are related in a
specific way to each other and on top of that they are not fundamental
themselves.    (07)

'bank': I can attach the textual representation 'bank' to multiple
semantic nets, It helps identifying a list of concepts that might appear
in text but it is not the primary identification of the concept. That is
generated automatically from the semantic net. So 'to bank' at Wells
Fargo or to 'to bank' a plane will result in different recommendations
of concepts to link up e.g. if you wanted to store the concept of
'banking a plane'. That btw. also defines context.    (08)

What I am looking for is when one takes a look at all the uses of the
verbal form of 'banking', what is the common thread, and how can that be
replaced with a semantic network. Eventually you end up at concepts
where you cannot do that any more without crossing the agreed level.
These are then fundamental concepts that make up a root knowledge in
which you could describe anything. I was hoping there were some
numbers/lists for that. With that number one could start calculating
what space it would take to store human knowledge and assess if if could
fit into a mobile device for example. (I know this will spin up a whole
new discussion).    (09)

While I writing this I was wondering if we do end up with fundamental
concepts that mimic the elements of programming languages.    (010)

Tom    (011)