Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:25:59 -0500
Kingsley -

On Feb 15, 2014, at 5:06 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

 What would be the value?

Keeping the utility of the legacy system alive without going down the futile "rip and replace" path.

That's most reasonable.

I'm in strong agreement that "rip & replace"—which comes in many guises—while inherently appealing (of course I want a new Ferrari) & is often disastrous.

All I've been trying to get out of you is the admission you're interested in the data from systems, but not the systems themselves.

I was hoping that as a long shot what you do might be useful for coping with legacy systems.

I think we as an industry have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt we can produce plenty of data.  How we maintain legacy systems going forward is a different challenge.

For me a major issue is the looming departure of the SMEs (subject matter experts).

I was hoping there might be some useful tricks in your kit bag, but I think we agree your focus & my focus are in different ends of the spectrum.

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx