Re: [ontolog-forum] What the difference re., Data Dictionary, Ontology,

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:48:31 -0500
John -

On Feb 15, 2014, at 11:41 AM, John F Sowa wrote:

If one doesn't know which systems, programs, logic, data structures
& rules  are producing the data, how will one know when the data
suddenly changes?

Good question.  Neither Sherlock Holmes nor any competent scientist,
engineer, physician, forensic investigator, intelligence analyst, etc,
would accept data at face value without asking about the provenance,
the methods of derivation, and the people who derived and verified it.

I hope I'm wrong, but so far I have not seen "Big Data" & "provenance" used in close proximity.

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx