Re: [ontolog-forum] Early use of the word 'ontology' in AI

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 17:56:46 +0200
John,    (01)

Thanks for the definitions of terms around the word "ontology".    (02)

But may I expand on my request in the final paragraph of my last email?    (03)

I had said:
" I am busy promoting ontology in a different forum at the moment.  The word
seems to have some attraction there but I have discovered that, like
"semantic web", "ontology" is a sure turn-off out there to a significant
degree.  So I am interested in both the history of the word and the current
experience of Ontolog folks in this labelling matter."    (04)

On the historical issue, though, Pat did say (in the quote in my email) that
"I wouldn't be [in favor of introducing a new term] if the term really were
new (and I resolutely ignored it when it was first introduced) but its no
longer new, [...]".  That certainly seems to be an insistence that he was
not the first to introduce the term.    (05)

Then, the quote you attribute to Pat in your email below was in fact from
me.  It was my own tentative exploration for a reading that rendered Pat's
statements consistent.  I could surely learn from any attempt by this Forum
to spell out definitions of "logical theory" and "AI" that might clarify the
apparently diverse origins of the use of the term "ontology".    (06)

Thus the main definitions my exploration invited were those to help
relevantly distinguish the "logical theory" domain from that of AI.    (07)

I must confess I haven't studied Pat's 35-year-old papers on liquids and
naïve physics (though I do recall having ignorantly read about them at the
time).  Nor would I characterize  the present central themes of my own
current project as either 'logical theory' or AI.  Ontology in that project
is both most strongly philosophical and of great technical value in IS/IT,
and the word is most useful in capturing that synergetic link.  But I
recognize that I do need to gear up towards the relevant experts'
exploitation of the ever more emergent opportunities for both advanced
'logical theory' and AI in that project.    (08)

Ha-ha, yes, everyone can surely agree with your observation that "For
anybody who doesn't [know what they're talking about], all bets are off."    (09)

And one reason why I am still using the word "ontology", more or less in the
sense that ontologgers use it, despite my own inclinations (that I had
expressed in the sequel to the 2008 thread I had resurrected in my previous
email), is that whenever I can have a good conversation with sceptics, from
whatever field, within or outside IT, they usually end up understanding
surprisingly well at their respective levels and asking to be kept
up-to-date.    (010)

But that experience doesn't resolve the marketing or propagandistic need
that lies behind my query, in the final paragraph of my previous post, as to
how fellow-ontologgers experience the problem of the ontology-sceptic.  Such
a sceptic is usually ignorant, as you point out, and is adopting a very
superficial and usually self-serving position.  So the obstacle to pre-empt
somehow is the first-glance though ignorant dismissal without the
opportunity for that "good conversation".  For example, which of the
one-liners or elevator pitches of recent Summits seem to work best or most
often?    (011)

Any takers on such queries?    (012)

In the meanwhile I am busy taking my own approach to the whole issue, and
will in due course draw the Forum's attention to my project's present
deliverable.  I am sure there are ontologgers who will be able to improve it
(even if by total replacement...).  But I would much appreciate any
observations or suggestions in the very short term.    (013)

Christopher    (014)