[ontolog-forum] Early use of the word 'ontology' in AI

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:01:03 -0500
The word 'ontology' has been used in philosophy for centuries.
But the following paper, which Pat Hayes wrote in 1978, seems
to be the first use of the word in artificial intelligence:    (01)

    http://www.issco.unige.ch/working-papers/Hayes-1978-35.pdf
    Ontology for liquids    (02)

I asked Pat if he knew of any earlier uses in AI, and he sent
the following reply.  This article and two other articles that
Pat cites show the influence of philosophical ontology on AI.    (03)

John    (04)