Re: [ontolog-forum] Body Parts and Early-Learned Verbs

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Victor Amorim dos Santos <victor.amsantos@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 08:37:49 -0300

Maybe I can help in this case (an formal ontology). I work with a unified foundation ontology (Guizzardi's thesis). We can make models and test them to proof consistency. We have done a transformation to owl too. I think it can help you to create programs to use your ontology.

--
Victor Amorim
Bacharel em Sistemas de Informação - IFES

Hi Ray,

The BMM is a good start, but what I would want to see is a formal ontology (i.e. some formal representation of concepts), and that this ontology be grounded in referenced academic work.

I have some familiarity with the OMG's BMM but would like to look at it more closely to see how well the concepts are grounded in prior art such as legal theory and Searle's social constructs. They may have done this, but technical standards are not always known for referencing prior art, I'm sorry to say. Maybe BMM is an exception to this.

Also I do think that concepts need to be abstracted to their most general level for them to represent useful semantic building blocks. So for example BMM defines "Goal" in a very business-specific way, without defining a more abstract concept of goal, of which the goal of a business would be one such. That's the sort of thing that would emerge from a more ontological treatment of the concepts that exist in BMM I think.

Mike