Re: [ontolog-forum] Body Parts and Early-Learned Verbs

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:44:36 -0400
I don't quite agree with this:
> But many of these ideas (as well as Piaget's) are built on top
> of pre-IIWW European naive physics and Gestalt movement.

The Gestalt Theory provided a useful discussion of parts and wholes, but there was a tendency to claim that some perceptual groupins were innate:
"Grouping principles pervade virtually all perceptual experiences because they determine the
objects and parts we perceive in the environment. Gestalt psychology has claimed that all Gestalt
laws are innate and that learning or past experience can never play a role
"

Wagemans, Johan, et al. "A century of Gestalt psychology in visual perception: I. Perceptual grouping and figure–ground organization." (2012).

Piaget was many things, but not a cognitive nativist.  So he was not one to easily adopt this idea of innate perceptual groupings. Piaget was better characterized as  a stage theory developmentalist in which various forms of learning played the key role.  In part because of his ideas on active learning, modern constructionists claim he as their own. As he said. "Intelligence organizes the world by organizing itself"  That active role of intellect is front and center in Piaget.

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies