Re: [ontolog-forum] Body Parts and Early-Learned Verbs

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 13:54:31 -0400
On 9/4/2013 11:44 AM, Gary Berg-Cross wrote:
> Piaget was many things, but not a cognitive nativist.  So he was not one
> to easily adopt this idea of innate perceptual groupings. Piaget was
> better characterized as  a stage theory developmentalist in which
> various forms of learning played the key role.  In part because of his
> ideas on active learning, modern constructionists claim he as their own.
> As he said. "Intelligence organizes the world by organizing itself"
> That active role of intellect is front and center in Piaget.    (01)

That is true.  But Piaget certainly assumed that the brain contains
a great deal of innate structure, whose development supports those
stages.  Following is a quotation from his _Origins of Intelligence
in the Child_, in which he begins by noting common points between his
approach and Gestalt psychology.  Then he notes the differences:    (02)

Piaget
> Having thus defined these common traits, we find ourselves more free
> to show how the hypothesis of assimilation tries to surpass the theory
> of forms and not to contradict it, and how the "schema" is a "Gestalt"
> made dynamic and not a concept destined to react against the progress
> of the Gestalt movement.    (03)

To see the full context, select a phrase, put it in quotes, and
Google it.  That should take you to the same page in Google Books
from which I copied it.    (04)