Re: [ontolog-forum] Concept dictionaries and interlinguas

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: joseph simpson <jjs0sbw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:36:45 -0700
Does the book have a name?

Will you announce the book's availability on this list?

Have fun,

Joe

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I appreciate your comments in good humor and I acknowledge that further explanation is required. As I said, really better I say nothing until I am prepared to spend the time justifying my comments. I accept John's criticism.

The only reason I cannot linger is that precisely what you and John justifiably request is underway and due to be delivered as a book in October. Although this book does not relate directly to my work on concept analysis and is more directly focused upon how the attempt to mathematize biophysics informs the foundations of logic and apprehension (and computation). It does, however, deal with basic questions of scientific epistemology.

So, my apologies, when I have finished the book, I will have more time to engage.

Regards,
Steven

--
        Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
        Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering

On Aug 14, 2013, at 3:13 PM, "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bruce: Just had to laugh, this is a perfect illustration regarding the "unpacking" of implicit (tacit) stipulated meaning --not only regarding a few broad principles (such as the way complex meaning is tacitly embedded in brief abstractions), but also highlighting a very common fundamental driver of the entire process: psychological economy (time and/or energy to make things clearer).
>
> There's a whole bunch of interesting things on this web site - http://iase.info – but I gotta agree with John.
>
> JS: I am highly skeptical of one-sentence summaries, especially when they contain five vague and highly debatable notions: self-referencing, embody, natural, epistemology, and ground.
>
> Bruce: Every one of those five terms is highly value-laden, involving a complex/specific definition that “must be stipulated” by somebody – and negotiated with whoever the speaker is addressing to make sure the terms are clear and understood.  Getting all that done is a lot of work. J
>
> If we’re talking about some kind of “universal ontology” on all this stuff (laugh again) – I think we gotta put some “negotiation software” in there somewhere.  Maybe “diplomacy software”.  Let’s get the dimensions lined up right (“apples and oranges”) and then everybody push hard (and play nice) for their team --
>
> I used to be into “relaxation methods” for balancing load stress.  Maybe that’s what we need   JJ
>
> <image001.png>
> Bruce Schuman
> (805) 966-9515 Santa Barbara
> http://interspirit.net | http://sharedpurpose.net | http://bridgeacrossconsciousness.net