Re: [ontolog-forum] Concept dictionaries and interlinguas

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:44:56 -0400
Gary, Bruce, and Steven,    (01)

There are many complex issues involved.  Google's translator shows
that statistical methods can produce cheap translations without
sophisticated methods of logic and large dictionaries.  They're
better than nothing, but they're not something that anyone would
enjoy reading.    (02)

Gary
> You can see many of the Conferences on Machine Translation (MT) thru
> the Machine Translation Archive which is at:
>
> http://www.mt-archive.info/srch/conferences-1.htm    (03)

Yes.  The MT archive is an excellent resource for proceedings of
conferences on MT and NLP from the 1960s to the present.    (04)

But I was explicitly asking about Interlinguas and related techniques
that have been discussed on Ontolog Forum.    (05)

Bruce,
> Google, of course, offers a very fast natural language translator here:
>
> http://translate.google.com/
>
> How do people here appraise it?  What techniques are they using?    (06)

Google uses statistical methods that are the antithesis of building
large dictionaries by hand.  For Google's publications on MT, see    (07)

    http://research.google.com/pubs/MachineTranslation.html    (08)

Steven,
> The reason that these approaches fail is that they are self-referencing
> and embody neither a natural epistemology nor ground.    (09)

I am highly skeptical of one-sentence summaries, especially when they
contain five vague and highly debatable notions:  self-referencing,
embody, natural, epistemology, and ground.    (010)

I have a high regard for the people who have been doing that research
over the past half century.  I won't claim that they have examined
every possible approach from every possible point of view.  But any
claim that they have overlooked something that could be summarized
in one line would require much more justification.    (011)