Re: [ontolog-forum] Genetic discovery using ontology mapping ofobservati

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 17:20:11 -0700

Dear John,

My comments are below,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

    On 5/11/2013 11:39 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:

    > Patents have nothing to do with research, but with practical realization

    > of useful technologies that create wealth, jobs, and profitable activities.

    I agree with that point.

    But patents are supposed to be limited to applications that are not

    trivial duplications of similar applications to similar problems.

Yes, they are.  The patent courts assure that and they use the prosecution histories generated by examiners to document their search for patents that are non-obvious, not anticipated by prior art, and within the requirements of useful commercial value that has not previously been disclosed whether in the patent system or in the literature.

    > I think your view of what the patent office does is conflated with your

    > view of what pure research is about.  They have little to do with each other.

    I am *not* talking about research.  I am talking about practical

    applications.  My point is that those algorithms have been applied

    repeatedly to practical applications that have no significant

    difference from what was patented.

The patent courts and the patent office disagree with you.  Why do you claim something without providing evidence that what you are claiming is true?

    You can't patent yet another application whose only "innovation" is

    to use slightly different terminology.

    Anybody who wants to get around that patent can just use the label 'AI'

    instead of 'ontology' and cite an AI textbook that is over 20 years old.

    John

I have worked on over fifty patent litigations and a dozen prosecutions and I have never found a single example of what you are claiming.  If you can post something clearly supporting your claims, please do so.

-Rich