Re: [ontolog-forum] Genetic discovery using ontology mapping of observat

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 09:16:31 -0400
On 5/11/2013 11:39 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> Patents have nothing to do with research, but with practical realization
> of useful technologies that create wealth, jobs, and profitable activities.    (01)

I agree with that point.    (02)

But patents are supposed to be limited to applications that are not
trivial duplications of similar applications to similar problems.    (03)

> I think your view of what the patent office does is conflated with your
> view of what pure research is about.  They have little to do with each other.    (04)

I am *not* talking about research.  I am talking about practical
applications.  My point is that those algorithms have been applied
repeatedly to practical applications that have no significant
difference from what was patented.    (05)

You can't patent yet another application whose only "innovation" is
to use slightly different terminology.    (06)

Anybody who wants to get around that patent can just use the label 'AI'
instead of 'ontology' and cite an AI textbook that is over 20 years old.    (07)