Re: [ontolog-forum] 15,000-year-old ancestral language

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 12:40:37 -0400
Pat,    (01)

This is presumably resolved by consulting the source of the 200 common meanings
cited in the article.
I assumed that the authors used the "noun" designation to refer to the rind of
trees, and would have used the "verb" designation if they had meant the gerund
"bark" = "barking".    (02)

I seem to recall reading that wild dogs and wolves don't "bark", although
coyotes do, and "barking" is actually only a common behavior of domesticated
dogs.  Further, the dog is the oldest domesticated animal, and my recollection
is that that is estimated to have occurred sometime around 15 kya, which would
be about the time of the unifying protolanguage  the article posits.  Taken
together, it suggests that the "bark" of a dog would not be common in origin.    (03)

Also, "bark" is echoic, like "woof" and "howl", and it is easy to imagine that
similar echoic words would have been invented in the languages of cultures that
had domesticated dogs, whether or not there was a common origin.  In a similar
way, it has been suggested before that "ma" is a sound that frequently comes
out of the mouths of babes experimenting with the their linguistic apparatus,
and if mothers reinforce it, it becomes a word for "mother" in the home and in
the language.   The issue of accidental reinvention is a known problem in
language genetics.  By comparison, "bark" referring to the rind of a tree has
no such problems.    (04)

-Ed    (05)

--
Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx