Re: [ontolog-forum] 15,000-year-old ancestral language

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 00:50:10 -0400
Pat,    (01)

The article says  that 'bark' is a noun.      (02)

Beyond the pronouns, I would not attach too much significance to the handful of
survivors of 15000 years of social change.  English alone tells us that the
"half life" of important words can be significantly altered by social and
military history.  Words of the conqueror will displace words of the conquered;
words of the dominant trade people will displace words of the consumers.  Words
for tools might change when you switch from stone to bronze.  Even words for
eating might change when your diet changes.  (And in the latter half of the
20th century it became commonplace in our trade to re-invent the same old
wheels every 5-10 years with a whole new set of terms to suggest that there was
a "new" technology.  While that might be an egregious case, I'm sure it has
happened in some form many times in 15000 years.)    (03)

-Ed    (04)

--
Edward J. Barkmeyer                       Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx
Engineering Laboratory -- Systems Integration Division