Re: [ontolog-forum] Compound nouns

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 12:22:40 -0700
Claiming to divide language into "NL" and
"ontological" parts doesn't make it so.  From the
reference you gave at:
http://books.google.com/books/about/Ordered_Chaos.
html?id=veBBTN6PwU4C    (01)

Continuing her discussion, the author goes on:    (02)

We have discussed earlier the possibility of
naming ontological nodes as non linguistic labels,
perhaps like X3-05023-C which makes it clear that
there is NO linguistic relationship between
ontological nodes and words.  But that has been an
unworkable approach as well.  The authors of the
nodes assign "meaningful" names, such as "river",
and do not exhaustively characterize the node
"river" to include all the varieties of river
which we have discussed in the past.      (03)

The point is that mnemonic names for ontological
nodes must necessarily be misleading at some point
in using the ontology.  Blaming "erroneous
interpretations" on the NL side in order to leave
the ontological side blameless is just an exercise
in self delusion.      (04)

IMHO, there is no "erroneous interpretation",
there are only diverse interpretations.  There is
no way to define universally what interpretations
are "right" and which are "wrong" because not
everybody agrees with any ontology any more than
they agree with a given NL processing method.      (05)

The solution to this conundrum has yet to be
found, and indeed may not even exist.     (06)

-Rich    (07)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com