Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: MAXWELL GILLMORE <maxwellrgillmore@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:54:10 +1000
I must correct some points you made when  comparing memes to genes
  • the stretching did not lead to mutation,  a mutation  lead to some giraffe having better ability to reach higher leaves and therefore gave it an advantage in survival.   over millions of years longer necks meant  the gene was favoured by natural selection
  • cross pollination of plants is NOT  contrary to Darwinian Evolution.  Animals cross-fertilise mandatarily
  • crossing between different species is genetically fatal
  • grafting of plant species has nothing to do with sexual reproduction  (it is better compared to a heart transplant)

A meme may be usefully  analagous to Darwinian selection but, at least for the time being we have not found a direct genetic connection.  Nevertheless memes are subject to selection.